<<< Return to the DIY Cookbook
THIS BABY ROLLS !!!
Slider? This is constructed with full bearing wheels ... this does not slide ... it ROLLS BABY !!! Watch this video to see how effortlessly the DIY114B simply glides along its track ...
SMOOTHEST SLIDER FOOTAGE ... EVER !!!
Check out sample footage using the juicedLink DIY Slider System.
RECIPE FOR 4FT (OR LESS) SLIDERS
We can save you significant cost by selling you only the components where juicedLink adds value (the trolley and bar ends), and allowing you to purchase the rods direct from wholesale. This also allows you to customize to create any length slider (or, multiple lenghts) that you desire.
The following steps are the instructions for procuring rods to construct a slider with up to 4 foot rails. You will need to follow a different set of instructions to construct a slider with rods greater than 4 feet, in the "Slider" section of the DIY Cookbook.
- Purchase the DIY114B Slider Kit
Purchase an "Extruded Aluminum Bare Round 6061-T6511 Rod" with a diameter of 0.625" +/- 0.009" at twice the slider length you that you will construct (slider lenght below 4 feet). 8 ft lenghts can be found for around $11 (to be cut in half for a 4ft slider).
- OnlineMetals.com is a resource you can utliize to make your purchase.
On their website, follow this path:
- Aluminum > Round Rod > 6061-T6511 > 0.625" (5/8")
- For a nominal fee, OnlineMetals.com can also perform the cut that you desire.
- Use a hack saw to cut the rod to the in half to create 2 rods at the desired slider length (if you haven't alreay had OnlineMetals.com make your cut for you).
- Use a file to file down the corners of the rod to make is smooth to touch (raw rod stock will have sharp corners, even if it has not been cut). In a pinch, you can scrape the corners along some concrete (that you don't care will get blemished) to smooth the edges.
- Follow the instructions in the Online User Manual for the DIY114B Slider Kit for assembling the rods with the trolley and bar ends.
PLATFORM FOR VIDEO HEAD, SLIDERS BEYOND 4 FT
The DIY116B Platform provides a larger surface for mounting a video head (or larger ball head), and also serves the purpose of limiting the spread of the rods so sliders longer than 4 feet can be constructed. Please see the Cookbook entry on Constructing an 8ft Slider for more details.