NEW FOR THE BLACKMAGIC CINEMA CAMERA: BMC366 Low-Noise Preamp:
BMC366 Low-Noise Preamp Features
- 3 XLR inputs
- Balanced Outputs
Unbalanced output for external recorder
- Can be calibrated to different output level from balanced outputs
- Used for dual-audio recording, and meter from recorder calibrated to camera needs, serving as camera meter
- 48V/12V phantom power
- Audio bracketing for camera overload protection
- Selective power down to extend battery life
- Very small and lightweight
- Numerous ways to mout to camera and rigs
- Made in USA
- Release April 2013. Subscribe to juicedLink blog for release notifications.
This video provides an overview of audio on the BlackMagic Cinema Camera. Unfortunately, the firmware implementation in the camera has some "anomalies" (meter calibration issues, DC offset issues, constricted headroom issues). So, this video is fairly lengthy to explain these "anomalies", and explain how to work around them to record audio with excellent signal-to-noise directly in the camera.
Here is a link to the the 09/06/2012 Blog Post: Audio Recorder Shootout (Sound Devices 702, DR100MKii, H4n, DR680, and more ...) that is mentioned in the video. It goes into the methodology for the audio tests.
Other Blackmagic Cinema Camera notes:
The meter calibration section in the Riggy-Assist User Manual has been updated with some notes regarding the meter calibration process.
- Obviously, we are hopefull that BlackMagic will add meters directly in the camera. Then, you could use the Riggy-Micro preamps (which will be smaller, lighter, and more power efficient).
Here are some of the minijack to 1/4 y-cable part numbers mentioned at the end of the video:
- Remote Audio CAB-M1/4
- Hosa CMP-153
- Hosa HMP-003Y
- The meter calibration section in the Riggy-Assist User Manual has been updated with some notes regarding the meter calibration process.